Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pint-Sized Scholars

I've been pondering about life's recent events, as new mommies sometimes do, and I came to a few conclusions about what my children's births have taught me...

Calvin's birth taught me that I'm not invincible like I thought I was. His birth was a lesson in humility. The labor was longer and harder than I thought it would be, and then, much to everyone's surprise, my uterus decided to invert and bleed like crazy causing a real emergency where I lost a lot of blood, had to be put under general anesthesia and had a long recovery. It made me very grateful for modern medicine, without which I would not have survived. Mira's birth taught me that I'm stronger than I think I am. Everything went so fast, but it was truly so incredibly hard. My mind or body didn't have time to catch up with what was going on. Before I knew it, there was a baby in my arms. But I realized, if I can go through 45 minutes (the actual labor was longer) of the most intense, incredible pain I could ever imagine, then I can do anything. This is a new realization for me and it is very inspiring. This sweet, precious newborn gives me strength in ways I didn't know I had before.

4 comments:

rachel said...

It was so nice to see her in person. She is beautiful!!

LaDawn said...

what a great way to reflect. I enjoyed reading all about your strengths.
amazing

Birrd said...

I totally agree. I thought I was a lazy, weak person until I went through natural childbirth. Especially my second one, 19 hrs long, up all night. It really changed my personality and my whole life when I realized that I was strong and I could do hard things. My day-to-day life is different now because I choose to do harder, more fulfilling things with my time. And my attitude toward everything I take on in life is much more positive. I wouldn't trade my painful experiences for anything.

Margaret said...

Love you. Love this! I was sad I only got to see a fleeting glance of you on Saturday.