Saturday, September 12, 2009

Wisdom Bites


Whoever said that teething doesn't hurt was wrong.

They obviously never crowned their wisdom teeth.

Cuz, let me tell you- it stinkin' hurts!

And not just a wussy hurt: it hurts like you can't sleep in the middle of the night because your jaw is throbbing with pain.

That kind of hurt.

I, unlike those expert baby book authors that indicate babies are just being babies when they're teething, have been fortunate enough to experience this wonderful wisdom pain. It first started right after my first pregnancy and comes and goes. Usually I feel nothing, but periodically they do, well, hurt.

I am also fortunate enough (can you feel the sarcasm oozing?) to have room for these babies which is why they haven't been pulled yet. Theoretically I could go get them pulled but then I would just be paying for pain and I don't see any sense in that.

The silver lining and the wisdom (pun intended) in all of this is that experiencing this pain has given me more compassion when my kids are teething. I know how they feel. I still may not always know what to do, but I know their pain is real baby, their pain is real.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh, that stinks! I've never heard of anyone keeping their wisdom teeth! You must have a very spacious mouth. I do know a thing or two about mouth pain (I had Jaw surgery just after senior year-oweee) and I hope it gets better for you soon. That is just no fun.

Birrd said...

What I find most interesting about your experience is how you say the pain comes and goes and goes over a long period of time. That explains why sometimes when my Rabbit is teething really bad I think "oh, we're about to see some teeth!" and then nothing shows up for months and months (still waiting on those bicuspids, despite the fact that they kept us up all night several times a couple weeks ago). And then I think "was it really teething?" So I'm glad you posted this and I am going to be more sympathetic to my children's teething pain after this.

Kirsten said...

I understand what you are going through. Orajel and some pain meds. Good luck!!!