
This is what happens when your dryer breaks, you and your husband take it apart and find that the belts & pulleys are fine (the easy stuff) and that the motor is kaput (the hard stuff)...you end up taking your laundry (all 5 loads) to the closest laundromat at 9 pm on a Saturday night. Yep, that was me on Saturday. I loaded the laundry and sat in the back where no one looking in the windows could see I was the only one in there, had my cell phone open and dialed to 911 so I only had to press "talk" in case some sketchy character walked in and I sat and read. Everything went fine, too fine really.
Because suddenly at 10:02, after I had loaded the clothes in the dryer and was waiting for the last 10 minutes, I had to pee. I used to be able to hold it. That was before I got pregnant and would pee if I sneezed too hard. There was no way I would be able to wait 10 minutes, carry heavy laundry bags to the car, drive home, walk in the door and make it to the bathroom without some bladder leakage. No way.
So I did the next best thing- scooted out the door to the weird keno lottery place next door. I did notice the middle-aged guy smoking and kind of jumped. He laughed and said I didn't need to be scared and that scared me more. I walked very quickly to the lottery place and found the bathroom which was literally down two long hallways and through three steel doors- but it was clean at least. Phew-made it!
When I left the laundromat, I failed to note that I had to open the door latch in order to leave. Should have been an important detail, but not when there is a full bladder to empty! When I came back, you guessed it, I was LOCKED OUT! Creepy guy was now talking to a buddy and loooking at me as I called my husband and the emergency number that no one answered. Some emergency line! My laundry (including underwear!) was peacefully sitting in the dryer and I was stuck outside.
So I did what any sensible girl would do: I drove home and went to bed. Then when the laundromat opened at 7 am the next morning, we went and picked up our clean and dry laundry, with nary a garment missing. Phew again! Next time I'll just hold it...if I dare.
7 comments:
I actually went to http://theshabbyprincess.com
and bought a packet. Super cheap. and then I just went to adobe photoshop and put it together. You can do all kinds of stuff with digital scrapbooking... I am so not very good at it, but I am learning. :)
Hey that was like a seasoned blogger post. I'm very impressed and you had me laughing with you (not at you). You should have come to my house to do your laundry!!! There is a ready bathroom here and better company. :-)
I am so proud of you for going home and getting some sleep. Why they don't have a bathroom in the laundry mat?? You are amamzing. You can come over and do laundry here too.
Even if they did have a bathroom in the laundromat, I don't know if I'd want to use it, although it couldn't have been worse than the keno potty...
Anna,
What a great story. I remember using the laundry mat quite a few times when we first moved to Eugene. I think that it is an amazing spot for people watching.
kricket
You are my hero. During four years of living in Eugene without a washer and dryer, I never used the laundromat. I bribed friends or used the scary apartment facilities. Laundromats terrify me but not as much as lottery places. I admire your bravery. Really and truly.
If that would have happened to me, I would have peed my pants or taken the wet laundry home.
OF COURSE I knew you were pregnant! What was I thinking? DUH!
:)
You look great, by the way. When's your due date? Fun chatting with you tonight...
Post a Comment