For those of you who saw this on facebook, forgive the repeat. But I wanted to show my dining set transformation!!!!! This is a solid wood dining table and chairs we graciously received 3 years ago but I wasn't quite sure how to make it match my style....the following pictures show the transformation.
First there was A LOT of sanding. The top had varnish and a wood-grain layer that needed to be thoroughly sanded off.
Next I experimented with different layers of paint, first primer, then yellow, then bits of white and gray on top of the yellow. The yellow I mixed myself by buying inexpensive Rustoleum pints of paint and then getting it to a color a liked. I used oil paint which is stinky and a royal pain to clean out of your brush but it is worth it because it dries verrrrrrrrry hard.
In the meantime I started hand scuffing the chairs after unscrewing the chair bottoms. The chairs were all sprayed with primer and then hand painted with a nice thick coat of solid gray.
I love this fabric!!!! After having well loved (read: stained) cotton chair bottoms, I was ready for something much more durable. Enter the best thing on the planet: LAMINATED COTTON. Fun prints. Thinner than oil cloth. Wipes off like a dream. Run to fabric.com to get some. No food is too penetrating for this bad boy. It all wipes off lickety-split. Did I mention that I love this? And, Hello?! It's Amy Butler!
After I did all of my yellow and white layers, I put a coat of gray over the table top, and darker gray on the legs. The top has flecks of colors poking through and the legs are solid. The nice thing is, now with the paint, I was able to appreciate the woods detail features, such as this, more.
The backs of the 6 chairs took quite a while to paint. Every time I looked at them at a new angle I'd find a spot I missed. If you turned them upside down you'd probably find some more spots. But as it is they look pretty good.
Voila`!
7 comments:
SOOOO cute Anna. It looks like so much work, but you did such an awesome job. That fabric is adorable!!!
Love, love, love it! Way to get your craft on! I'm impressed with that sand-blasting job and also the cuteness of the table itself!
And Amy Butler- Je adore. The wallpaper is going up in my teensy powder room bathroom someday!!
Those turned out AWESOME!!! I'm so impressed. I know how much work a project like that takes and it looks like you did a beautiful job. Well done Anna!
That is a really big project. Good job for finishing it! I love it so much. Thanks for your comment on our blog. We're exciting to meet these two little ones!
Thank you so much for telling me about laminated cotton. I need to do a similar project myself, someday. That was the kind of thing I did a lot of when I only had two kids. :)
Cute! You are amazing:)
I LOVE your fabric!!
I had to drop something off for Olivia this summer while she was at your house and I caught a peek at your chairs and about died. I LOVE THEM!!!!
Post a Comment