On September 2nd, Mira had her FIRST birthday! Happy first birthday sweet heart! We invited some friends over for dinner and had a little celebration. She wore her party dress and had to bear crawl around in it. Then she smeared her cake around and only took a tiny nibble while we all drooled over its chocolate-raspberry-ganache yumminess.
She is the happiest baby ever and I am grateful everyday to have her in our lives.
And then she started to climb.
And I knew my sleepy newborn days were far behind.
All I could do was wildly stare.
And exclaim, "Mira how did you get on that chair?!"
She turned to me and smiled,
As if to say, "Don't you know that I'm a little bit wild?"
How could I argue with that?
So I gave her head a pat-pat.
And grabbed my camera just in time!
Somewhere in the middle of all this we had our 7th anniversary!
I am so lucky to be married to such an awesome man.
Especially one who can sport a mullet wig and handle-bar mustache so well. This was our last Halloween before we had kids and we had fun scouting out the thrift stores for our costumes. I was supposed to be a gypsy but could have passed for a downtown Eugene hippie. Happy Anniversary sweetie! Feels like we just got married yesterday... Here's to 77 more years!
Sean's softball team also wrapped up their fall season. This has become one of our favorite summer activities, going to the ball field with the other moms and kids to watch our husbands/daddies play ball. And they ended their last game with a win! Yay!
Archie was Mira's first word after mama and dada. We have the best video of her perfectly saying "Ahh-chee" and patting him on the head. Sometimes he'll try to sneak into Calvin's room to sleep. One night, this is how they both went to bed...and then we promptly put him back in the laundry room after Calvin was asleep.
Last but not least, on the last day of the month, September 30th, Calvin got his FIRST stitches, after he rode his bike off the front steps...with no helmet.
Yes that is real blood on his face. Let me tell you it was drama.
He was bawling.
I was bawling.
Every time I looked at his cut I would cry again.
His forehead was split wide open.
I was not a calm mommy.
But he was very brave for his 6 stitches (well, with me and two other nurses holding him down and him screaming)
and afterward I realized I was glad that we at least made it to 3 years old before experiencing head trauma like this.
I have to remember that he is his father's son so there may be many more dare-devil incidences like this to come. But it all ended well, complete with the "nee-nah" (fire engine) coming to our house and wrapping up his head. Since fire engines are his favorite thing in the world, it was the icing to a too-exciting day.
(Don't even ask about the leak in our front lawn that was spouting 2,900 gallons of H20 a day into the lawn)
The month was also filled with lots of rides in the laundry baskets, especially as Mira perfected her ability to climb in and out of them.
The month was also filled with lots of rides in the laundry baskets, especially as Mira perfected her ability to climb in and out of them.
I'll forever remember the morning I played a kids' version of "Thriller" and they danced their little hearts out. Kids have natural rhythm.
Cal says way too many cute things every day for me to remember them all. Sometimes he'll tell me out of the blue- "Mama you look pretty!" My current favorite is when he calls the air conditioner the air confreshener.
Life is good.
Happy Halloween!
7 comments:
oh anna, yikes! i was hoping that picture of calvin was for halloween. yikes! you brave mommy!
I am having flashbacks all over again.
I used to hide the chairs in the kitchen for the majority of the day...behind the baby gate because my kids used the kitchen chairs to their delight and my fright!
Lauren split her head open at the doctor's office when she was 2 years old. 6 stitches as well. It was not a fun thing to experience so I can totally relate to the trauma-feeling.
Love you! You are an awesome momma!
Oh that poor little guy. They get themselves in such pickels and all we can do is cry. 7 Years congrats that is soooooo wonderful and your little Mira what a cutie she is. Wow a year old and walking yikes. Thanks for the great post.
Poor Calvin. That looks painful. I didn't know you guys adopted Archie. How fun for your kids. Mira is a doll.
My goodness you guys have been busy! Love the Mira birthday pic, she is so big! And also loved the Halloween pic of you two, too cute.
SO good to hear about what you all have been up to, except for the head injury part- that is no fun. I am going to be a basket-case when that day finally arrives in our house, knock on wood.
Your little princess was definitely pretty in pink!
I wanted to cry when I saw Calvin's pic! That would definitely be scary! Did you have Dr Goins make sure he was okay? lol. Glad to read an update!
Post a Comment