Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dude...


Where's my new car?

We've been mini-van shopping lately. I for one have never had a problem with the idea of driving a mini-van. They're very comfortable and practical and easy to drive and lately they have become very stylish too. I'm not even very picky. The only one I'd put my foot down on is a 1989 wood-paneled Dodge Caravan- how did that ever make it past the drawing board?

In my searches I found this awesome website called edmunds.com. It gives third-party reviews on cars, has a loan calculator, talks about how much insurance you need, they even paid a journalist to work undercover as a car salesman and write what he learned. Don't buy a car without checking out this website!

Speaking of insurance, my rates with Allstate keep rising even though we haven't had any tickets or accidents. They've been sneaky about it and as they probably correctly assumed, I haven't noticed until I started comparing bills. Sup yo?! SO- I'm on the hunt for new car insurance. Dun-dun-duh! Any of you have car insurance that you LOVE?

It looks like a new mini-van is not in our immediate future, but I sure had fun car hunting and thinking of all the ways I could outsmart the car salesman.

9 comments:

emily said...

i've been dabbling in thoughts of a mini-van too and came across edmunds recently. i'll have to read up more there--thanks for reminding me. i'm trying to decide which is greener, our '92 dodge spirit or a mini-van. or my $50 target bike with a baby seat and double trailer. (trailer yet to be purchased). we have geico for our insurance and i like them a lot. our rates have only gone up once, when we moved last year. i guess in their opinion, it was to a more sketchy neighborhood. ;)

Birrd said...

I love the wood-paneled Dodge Caravans! All my friends' moms drove these in the late 80's/early 90's. So many good memories. The only van I swore I would NEVER drive is the Chevy Astro, because they're so boxy-looking. Well, when we bought our van a year and a half ago after a ton of research we ended up with a GMC Safari, which is pretty much a Chevy Astro. And I love driving it. I just always have to point out that it's a SAFARI, not an Astro! So I think you should buy an '89 Caravan with wood paneling. Oh, yeah!

Margaret said...

What happened to "We don't need a minivan" yet? LOL.

I'm glad you are headed to the minivan-side of life. I said I would never buy one but then I had too many kids and not enough buckles for them all...

Mlynczyk said...

We have Safeco insurance. Our rates have never gone up, and when we price checked when we got a new car it was the cheapest by far.

We bought an explorer with a 3rd seat after Keila was born because I don't want a van. They sure have come a long way though, and the new ones look more sporty. Good luck with the search!

JB and Kids said...

Hey Anna!

We have a 2005 Honda Odyssey for sale if you are interested. It has leather, DVD, etc. Its in our driveway if you want to take a look!!

Teresa said...

Too funny about the van! Teresa swears that she will never have one... time will tell I guess. We use Progressive insurance and absolutely LOVE IT! Our rates actually GO DOWN every year... since our cars are one year older and we've gone another year without an accident or ticket. They also just gave us a "phenomenal" (our lender's words) rate on our home insurance for our new house.

Annie and Jake Callister said...

It pays to get Geico...

Brandi Clark said...

We have Progressive and have used it a few times to tow our car and bring us gas...oops. Our rates haven't gone up, and I think they are guaranteed for a year from the purchase date.

rachel said...

Call President Cryer. He sells car insurance. :)