Baby and I went to church for the first time in 5 weeks on Sunday. (Yay!!!) Getting ready for church is always a hairy event but with a newborn and tired mom it is nothing short of miraculous. Ironically baby was the first one dressed and ready. Shortcuts had to be made. I gave up on trying to fix my hair when the baby was crying. I may or may not have gone in slept in make up. (No really, I can't remember if I did my make-up or just touched up the previous day's wear. Sad I know.) We managed to pull ourselves all together and actually make it a little early. It was Stake Conference. You know you're a Mormon when Stake Conference sounds fun and relieving to you. Two hours of church instead of three. No lessons to teach. No meetings before or after church. It is one of those infrequent "show up and listen" Sundays. Now if every Sunday were like that I would actually be bored. I like being involved. Teaching lessons. Having my children go to Primary.
As I was saying, we made it a little early in order to get a parking space. Score. That was a success. Then we were all walking in and I noticed a few things. Mira's dress ribbon had gotten untied in the back and her hair bow was a little wonky. Calvin's shirt had something, it was either a little disheveled or untucked or had something dirty on the back. I can't remember. I do remember thinking, "Huh. We did the best we could. We're here. It isn't perfect but it will have to do. Oh well. Big deal."
We then got a seat and over the next two hours proceeded to strategically tap into our arsenal. Coloring books. Books. Drawing. Holding out on the snacks as long as possible. Allowing two bathroom/water breaks (so use them wisely!). Everyone was doing great. Behaving. Staying in our section of chairs. Keeping their voices down. Baby even slept in her car seat for a while. I was able to listen to the speakers and was really enjoying myself.
After a while baby got hungry so I took her out to find the mother's room where I could comfortably feed her. It took a little searching but I found it. Talked to a really nice mom who was holding her 5 month old, ninth child. She was so relaxed and happy. Model mom for sure. After I got baby fed I realized I needed to use the restroom so I brought her back to Sean and took Mira with me. Then as I was adjusting my skirt and putting my outfit back together I saw IT. There on the back of my skirt: A dried up Cheerio stuck there. Mocking me. Of course I promptly removed it and didn't bat an eye. It really didn't surprise me, and THAT my friends is the sad part of this story. When you go to church with day old make up and a cheerio stuck on your backside and it doesn't even phase you.
1 comment:
Hi Sister!
You are an amazing mother! Your kids are so blessed to have all of your attention, intellect and energy. They shine with love, the kind that only comes from a loving stable family. I love you sis! Cheerio and all!
xoxo Nedda
Post a Comment